Consumer Protection


Q1. Where I can lodge a complaint related to any banking matter?

Ans. The first forum for lodging the complaint related to any banking matter is the concerned bank’s own Complaint Management Unit (CMU). If the CMU at the bank fails to respond timely to the customer i.e. within 45 days or the customer remains unsatisfied with the outcome of the complaint, then the customer can lodge a complaint with the Banking Mohtasib Pakistan (BMP). The Banking Mohtasib Pakistan is an independent statutory body which is mandated to resolve disputes through a process which is largely conciliatory in the light of Federal Ombudsman Institution Reforms Act (FOIRA) 2013. The details regarding Complaint Grievance Handling Mechanism (CGHM) for banks may be accessed at the link given below:-

Q2. What type of complaints does the Banking Mohtasib Pakistan (BMP) deal with?

Ans. The Banking Mohtasib can entertain disputes and complaints relating to, Banking Malpractices, Perverse, Arbitrary and Discriminatory Actions, Operational Issues, Operational Inefficiency, Violation of Banking Laws and Regulations, Harassments in Recovery of Loans, Additionally, in the case of Public Sector Banks, the Banking Mohtasib can entertain complaints relating to, Corruption, Nepotism and, Maladministration.

The above information can also be accessed at the link below:-

Q3. How can I lodge a complaint at Banking Mohtasib Pakistan (BMP)?
Ans. Details regarding the procedure for lodgment of complaint at BMP can be accessed at: -

Q4. What types of Complaints State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) deals with?
Ans. SBP deals with complaints related to Microfinance banks, Prize Bonds, Currency etc. Besides, issues related to utility bills, disbursement of pensions and matters that require immediate resolution are also handled by SBP. However, it may be noted that SBP does not intervene in HR related matters of banks, subjudice matter/ disputes/ complaints (matters pending adjudication before the competent court of law) or at any law enforcement agency i.e. FIA, NAB etc.

Q5. What are the contact details for filing a complaint at SBP?
Ans. Complaints related to above areas can be addressed at: -

Surface Mail:

Banking Conduct and Consumer Protection Department (BC&CPD)
State Bank of Pakistan
I.I. Chundrigar Road


[email protected]

Help Line:


Fax No:



Q6. What sort of complaints SBP does not usually entertain?
Ans. SBP does not entertain complaints of personal disputes including renting of properties and undocumented claims/disputes. Further, SBP will not deal any complaint which is pending for adjudication in the competent court of law or has already been decided by the court of law in Pakistan.

Q7. Does SBP entertain any anonymous complaint?
Ans. SBP does not entertain any anonymous complaint received which lacks identity of the complainant.

Q8. Can I lodge my complaint at any office of SBP?
Ans.Yes, SBP has established Customer Facilitation Centers located in Karachi, Hyderabad, Sukkur, Bahawalpur, Multan, Dera Ismail Khan, Lahore, Gujranwala, Sialkot, Faisalabad, Rawalpindi, Peshawar, Quetta and Muzaffarabad, where you can approach to lodge your complaint. Besides, a dedicated helpline (0092-21-111-727-273) and e-mail ID ([email protected]) has also been developed to facilitate public regarding their queries.

Q9. Does SBP investigate a complaint, not directly addressed to it?
Ans.SBP does not investigate any such complaint which is directly addressed to a bank or other authorities/organizations, while a copy of complaint is sent to SBP merely for information.

Q10. Can I file an Appeal against the Orders passed by BMP?
Ans. In case of lodging complaint with BMP, SBP cannot exercise its powers over the complaint already decided by the BMP as its decision, order, findings or recommendations will be final and decisive. However, a representation can be made to the President of Pakistan within 30 days of the decision, order, findings or recommendation passed by BMP under FOIRA 2013.

Q11. Can SBP resolve issues related to Investment Banks, Modaraba Companies, Leasing Companies, Insurance Companies and other Non-Bank Financial Institutions (NBFIs)?
Ans. No, SBP does not have any regulatory jurisdiction over Investment Banks, Leasing, Modaraba and Insurance Companies or other Non-Banking Financial Institutions (NBFIs). However, complaints against these NBFIs can be addressed to Securities and Exchange Commission of Pakistan (SECP), Islamabad, who has regulatory jurisdiction over these NBFIs.

Q12. Can SBP direct a bank to provide loans & advances to a complainant?|
Ans. SBP cannot direct any bank to extend loans & advances to a person or entity. The banks are free to make lending related decisions in line with their credit policies, duly approved by the respective Board of Directors of the bank.

Q13. Does SBP give any legal or financial advice?
Ans. SBP does not offer, whatsoever, any legal opinion and financial advice to anyone.

Q14. Can I claim damages or compensation against banks’ wrong doing, by approaching SBP?
Ans. SBP cannot award damages and compensation against breach of contractual obligation or legal rights of customers/consumers of the banks. For compensation and damages, the complainant may seek judicial recourse.

Q15. I am residing abroad? How can I raise my grievance against any bank operating in Pakistan?
Ans. Overseas Pakistanis can record their grievances against any bank/DFI through Overseas Pakistani Foundation (OPF). OPF was established by Government of Pakistan to resolve the issues of overseas Pakistanis in an efficient manner. SBP addresses such complaints/issues received through OPF and make every possible effort to resolve. The procedure for filing the complaint with OPF can be viewed at the link given below: -

Unclaimed Deposits: -

Q16. What is an unclaimed deposit?
Ans. An account shall be classified as unclaimed deposits if no transaction has taken place and no statement of account has been requested or acknowledged by the creditor during a period of 10 (ten) years or more. It also includes cheque, draft, instrument, or bill of exchange etc.

Q17. How can I claim my unclaimed deposit/instrument?
Ans. The deposit/instrument holder may submit an application duly signed or with thumb impression to the concerned branch with complete details of particulars i.e. name, address, NIC/CNIC, contact numbers and reason of surrendering. The bank will submit the same to SBP for processing along with other documents as prescribed by SBP in the relevant circular given as under:-
However, the responsibility of proper identification of the customer rests with the bank.

Q18. What are the timelines for banks to surrender the unclaimed data to SBP?
Ans. As per the regulatory instructions, all banks are required to surrender provisional data related to unclaimed deposits within 30 days of close of each calendar year i.e. January 30, and final data by April 15. For details regarding procedure for surrendering/refund of unclaimed deposits/instruments, following links may be viewed: -

Q19. Any deposits in the name of minor can be surrendered to SBP?
Ans. Deposits in the name of a minor, Government or under litigation, are exempted from surrendering to SBP.

Q20. Is there any requirement for banks to intimate the customer before surrendering the deposit/instrument to SBP?
Ans. Yes, all banks are required to serve a three months’ notice in writing by registered post to the account/instrument holder.

Q21. What are the instructions for accounts inactive for 10 years or more but have been frozen under UNSC resolution?
Ans. Accounts in the names of entities, individuals etc. which have been frozen under UNSC Resolution shall not be treated as unclaimed deposits for surrendering to SBP unless the account status is changed.

Q22. Does SBP process unclaimed refund application directly addressed to it?
Ans. SBP will not entertain any application for unclaimed refund received directly from the customer.

Q23. In case, where customer is deceased, does succession certificate needs to be provided with every claim?
Ans. For claims below Rs. 100,000/-, banks can forward refund claim without obtaining the succession certificate from the legal heirs and fulfilling other requirements as embodied in the CPD circular letter No. 01 of 2012. The link for which is given below: -

Q24. The status of my account has been marked as dormant from the past 8 years. However, credit entries are being made into the account with regular intervals? Is it going to be surrendered under unclaimed Deposits after reaching the time period of 10 years?
Ans. Dormancy of the account and surrendering of unclaimed deposits are two separate areas and are not interrelated. For any dormant account to be surrendered under unclaimed deposits, it must fulfill the specific statutory requirements.  Only status of the account being dormant does not qualify it for surrendering under unclaimed deposits.

Politically Exposed Persons’ (PEPs)
Q25. What is Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs)?
Ans. PEPs are individuals who are entrusted with prominent public functions either domestically or by a foreign country, for example Heads of State or of government, senior politicians, senior government, judicial or military officials, senior executives of state owned corporations/departments/autonomous bodies.

Q26. Is there any focal person appointed by SBP for resolving the issues faced by Politically Exposed Persons (PEPs)?
Ans. Yes. SBP and all banks have nominated a respective focal person to deal with PEP matters. The contact details of such focal persons appointed by banks and SBP are available at SBP website and may be viewed at the following link: -

Q27. Is there any other forum for lodging the complaint if the PEP is not satisfied with the response of the bank’s focal person or grievance remains unresolved?
Ans. If PEP is not satisfied with the outcome of the complaint or his / her grievance is not resolved within 15 days after registration of the complaint with bank’s focal person then he/she may directly contact the focal person appointed by SBP. The details of which is given in the link below: -

Q28. Are there any Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) devised by SBP to facilitate PEPs in the process of account opening?
Ans. Yes, State Bank of Pakistan (SBP) has devised Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) to facilitate PEPs and streamline account opening process. The same may be accessed here:-

About SBP
Economic Data
Press Releases
Laws & Regulations
Monetary Policy
Help Desk
SBP Videos
SBP Welfare Trust
Contact us
What's New?
Online Tenders
Web Links

Educational Resources
Regulatory Returns
Rupey ko Pehchano
Zahid Husain Memorial Lecture
Best view Screen Resolution : 1024 * 768
Copyright © 2016. All Rights Reserved.