Please refer to the revised Anti-Money Laundering and Combating the Financing of Terrorism (AML/CFT) Regulations for Microfinance Banks (MFBs) issued vide AC&MFD Circular No. 2 dated October 5, 2018.
2. The National Database and Registration Authority (NADRA) has informed that Biometric Verification Service (Bio-Verisys), for opening bank accounts of Afghan refugees holding Proof of Registration (PoR) Card, has been made live w.e.f February 26, 2019 over the existing established linkage for CNIC verification. The Bio-Verisys for Afghan refugees holding PoR Cards would work similar to the biometric verification of CNIC holders.
3. Accordingly, for opening accounts of Afghan refugees holding PoR Cards, MFBs may accept the valid PoR Cards issued by NADRA as acceptable identity document. In this regard, MFBs shall verify the identity of the Afghan refugees having PoR Cards through NADRA biometric verification system for opening of account.
4. Moreover, for services offered by MFBs to their account holders, where CNIC and biometric verification is required under AML/CFT Regulations for MFBs, valid biometrically verified PoR Card shall be acceptable as identity document.
5. However, MFBs are advised to ensure compliance of all relevant legal and regulatory requirements including AML / CFT preventive measures for account opening prescribed by SBP from time to time.
6. All other instructions on the subject shall remain unchanged.